Other Locations:US- CA- San Diego
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Celgene is seeking a highly motivated and innovative scientist with demonstrated expertise in biologics development and protein expression to join the Biotherapeutics department.
The successful candidate will:
- Execute multiple concurrent antibody and protein expression projects to enable downstream R&D activities. Productions will utilize several platforms, including transient Expi293, ExpiCHO, and stable CHO expression.
- Possess a detailed understanding of recombinant standard and alternative (bi-/multi-specific) antibody production and expression optimization.
- Identify and execute process improvements which may include, but are not limited to, cell culture optimization, cell line engineering, and automation.
- Demonstrate a track record of initiative, creativity, organization and independent performance at a high level.
- Participate on project teams to discover, optimize, and manufacture antibody-based biologics, and should be highly effective in collaborating with internal and external team members and CRO’s.
- Apply strict attention to detail and adherence to timelines/deliverables.
- Contribute to an organized, efficient, and safe working environment.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Protein expression of biotherapeutic candidates to support R&D activities, including antigens, Fc-fusion proteins, standard and bi-/multi-specific antibodies
- Process optimization of platform expression technologies
- Titer assessment and early product quality assessment/characterization
- Stable CHO pool development using GS selection systems.
- Manage and catalogue reagent inventories and update affiliated databases, sequence curation/QC.
- Optimize and conduct biochemical assays that may include SDS-PAGE, ELISA, Octet, cytometry, and automated purification.
- Maintain current knowledge of biologics expression technologies and relevant literature.
- Prepare/present reports, data and updates to project and functional teams.
- Lab/equipment maintenance.
- Recognize risks and propose contingency plans.
- Ph.D. in Bioengineering, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, or related discipline plus 2 years of work experience, or 8 years of relevant work experience with an MS or 10 years with a BSc. Candidates with fewer years of relevant experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered for a commensurate position level.
- Experience working within a biotech or pharmaceutical environment strongly preferred.
- Extensive working knowledge and practice of aseptic technique, cell culture, and transient and/or stable recombinant protein production. CHO/HEK 293 experience preferred.
- Antibody/protein analysis and characterization including purification, SDS-PAGE, immunoblotting, AnSEC, ELISA/ForteBio Octet.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Excellent time management skills and multi-tasking capabilities
- Excellent organizational skills
Skills/Knowledge in one or more of the following areas are a plus:
- Standard molecular biology methods, cloning, plasmid preparation, vector design, PCR, mutagenesis, and DNA sequence analysis.
- Flow cytometry/microscopy.
- Sample inventory management.
- Experience with rocking/stirred tank bioreactors.
- Vector, cell line, and expression engineering and experimental design.
- Familiarity with automated HT liquid handlers.
- Experience and knowledge of protein and antibody structure, sequences, engineering, display, folding, antibody databases, and ELN.
- Knowledge of GLP/GMP requirements as they relate to CHO cell culture and cell line development.
- Alternative protein expression formats, including bacteria, yeast, and cell free systems.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.