Other Locations:US- CA- San Diego
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
We are seeking highly motivated, talented, and energetic chemist to join our fast-paced discovery research chemistry group.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design, synthesize, and characterize novel bioactive molecules towards a wide range of novel protein targets, in an efficient and independent manner.
- Integrate and interpret the SAR and identify lead compounds with desirable properties (activity, selectivity, DMPK characteristics, physical properties, etc.).
- Apply structure-based drug design principles and integrate with other experimental data collected in the design of new molecules.
- Work with other chemists (both internally and externally) to solve synthetic challenges, and design novel molecules. Maximize the productivity of the group and provide intellectual input to the department.
- Maintain productive relationships with project team members and communicate progress against goals in a multidisciplinary setting: chemistry, biology, pharmacology, modeling, and external collaborators.
- Ph.D. with at least 2 years of work experience, preferred. Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline with at least 12 years work experience or Master’s degree with at least 10 years work experience.
- Advanced degree in organic or medicinal chemistry with 2 years of post-doctoral or industrial experience in synthetic organic chemistry / drug discovery.
- Demonstrated record of productivity in organic or medicinal chemistry research as evidenced by publications and/or patents.
- Passionate about hands-on organic synthesis with a broad knowledge of modern organic chemistry and synthetic methods: heterocyclic chemistry, metal catalyzed reactions, multi-step synthesis; in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience with a wide range of techniques in synthesis, purification, and spectroscopic characterization of novel compounds (NMR, LC-MS, HPLC, etc.).
- Experience using the concepts and tools of structure-based drug design and chemical database searching.
- Highly collaborative, self-motivated, team-oriented individual, with good computer skills. - Ability to work in a fast-paced, highly integrated team environment where accuracy, accountability and timeliness are essential.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Other Characteristics & Traits:
- Developing cross-functional scientific knowledge.
- Demonstrate ability to write peer reviewed quality work.
- Able to write invention disclosures for patent applications, technical reports, or technical protocols.
- Scientific expert in a specific area.
- General knowledge of the drug discovery and development process.
- Ability to align science and functional area goals with over-arching business strategies.
- A good team player.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.