Other Locations:US- NJ- Summit West
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
The Associate Director of Occupational Health and Safety is responsible for developing and ensuring compliance with Celgene’s Corporate Occupational Health and Safety Policies, Directives and Standards in a manner that meets or exceeds the local regulatory requirements of all countries in which Celgene Operates. This position is also responsible for the development, communication and training on relevant Occupational Health and Safety programs, processes, best practices, tools and templates that may be leveraged by site management and local EHS professionals to ensure compliance.
Global responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Development of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) risk management strategies, directives, standards and best practices related to Employee OHS, Product Stewardship, OHS compliance and permitting, due diligence and risk management. These include:
- Incident Investigation
- Chemical, Biological, Radiological Safety
- High Risk Hazard/Physical Safety
- Hazardous Material Management
- Industrial Hygiene
- Reproductive Health
- Health Monitoring
- Provide Technical Advisory support to key stakeholders (Site Management, Facilities, and local EHS professionals)
- Global OHS Systems and platforms development and maintenance that meets the needs of stakeholders (Site Management, Facilities, and local EHS professionals)
- Preparation of regular OHS Protection progress, risk management and compliance reports for executive management.
- Staying current with regional, country, federal and state regulations, codes and other relevant requirements.
- Critically evaluate any relevant regulatory changes, assess impact and update Celgene directives, standards, etc. Provide action plans as necessary to support expansion.
- Proactively address and communicate the requirements of new regulations and best practices to create a proactive approach to EHS through cross functional cooperation, communications and training.
- Participate in corporate development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for projects, programs and people.
- Develop, monitor and evaluate key OHS Metrics. Identify trends and address systemic issues once identified.
- Must have 10+ years of experience in EHS systems and manufacturing within the pharmaceutical or other related industry.
- Must have solid knowledge of Environmental, Safety, Product Safety, Industrial Hygiene, and Emergency Response best practices in manufacturing and R&D environments.
- Must have working experience with High Hazard Risk Mitigation and Construction Safety.
- Must have a strong knowledge of international and regional/country EHS regulations and best practices.
- Broad knowledge of Pharmaceutical EHS issues, Manufacturing, and R&D practices.
- Entrepreneurial attitude and passionate about the opportunity to contribute to the growth and success of the company.
- Strategic orientation and possess sound judgement.
- Use of logic and reasoning in problem solving to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs, with the ability to establish and maintain a high level of stakeholder trust, confidence and ability to manage client expectations.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, including the ability to effectively and succinctly communicate complex concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work well with international cultures and diversity.
- Excellent decision making capability.
- Ability to build trust and relationships and create a collaborative environment.
- Ability to interact internally and externally with executive level management requiring negotiation of extremely difficult matters to influence policy making bodies both internally and externally.
- Ability to provide focus and clarity.
- Ability to work effectively and in a collaborative team environment where results are achieved through influence and the incorporation of multiple points of view.
- Ability to influence and drive change.
- Flexible, with an ability to work effectively in an environment of shifting issues and priorities.
- Ability to forge cross functional partnerships and strategies.
- Strategic thinker who can balance near term objectives with long term goals and outcomes, evaluate risk and develop effective solutions through an integrated multi-disciplined decision-making approach.
BS in Science (chemistry, biological sciences, mathematics, physics, environmental health and safety, occupational health or industrial hygiene) and 10+ years Environmental Health and Safety in Manufacturing and R&D Facilities
Preferred: Masters degree a plus with major course work in safety, occupational health, industrial hygiene, environmental health and safety, human factors, accident investigation, occupational medicine, toxicology, public health, engineering, industrial psychology. Certification, CSP or CIH, desired.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.